To visit the Official Website (external), click here: www.mantillawithme.com

Monday, August 8, 2011

On the tongue and while kneeling: what are your thoughts?

Below is an article quoting Cardinal Llovera to the effect that Catholics should receive communion on the tongue while kneeling!

I receive on the tongue but do not kneel at the ordinary form mass.

I am not sure whether I am brave enough to start kneeling to receive ... I already feel like the odd one out wearing my mantilla.

What do you think?

______________________________________________________________

“On the tongue and while kneeling”

Cardinal offers guidance on receiving Communion, urges correction of liturgical abuses


Lima, Peru (CNA) -- Cardinal Antonio Canizares Llovera, prefect of the Vatican's Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, has recommended that Catholics receive Communion on the tongue, while kneeling.

“It is to simply know that we are before God himself and that He came to us and that we are undeserving,” the cardinal said in an interview with CNA during a recent visit to Peru. His remarks came in response to a question on whether Catholics should receive Communion in the hand or on the tongue.

He recommended that Catholics “receive Communion on the tongue and while kneeling.” Receiving Communion in this way, the cardinal continued, “is the sign of adoration that needs to be recovered. I think the entire Church needs to receive Communion while kneeling.”

“In fact,” he added, “if one receives while standing, a genuflection or profound bow should be made, and this is not happening.”

“If we trivialize Communion, we trivialize everything, and we cannot lose a moment as important as that of receiving Communion, of recognizing the real presence of Christ there, of the God who is the love above all loves, as we sing in a hymn in Spanish,” said Cardinal Canizares.

In response to a question about the liturgical abuses that often occur, Cardinal Canizares said they must be “corrected, especially through proper formation: formation for seminarians, for priests, for catechists, for all the Christian faithful.”

Such a formation should ensure that liturgical celebrations take place “in accord with the demands and dignity of the celebration, in accord with the norms of the Church, which is the only way we can authentically celebrate the Eucharist,” he added.

“Bishops have a unique responsibility” in the task of liturgical formation and the correction of abuses, the cardinal said, “and we must not fail to fulfill it, because everything we do to ensure that the Eucharist is celebrated properly will ensure proper participation in the Eucharist.”





Source: California Catholic Daily 

6 comments:

  1. I'm the only one in our church in a mantilla, and genuflect before receiving communion on the tongue, but even that seems to be a trip risk for anyone in the queue behind me who hasn't noticed and keeps on walking regardless. I would love to be able to kneel for Communion, don't think I'd dare though for fear of being sued!

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an Anglican pre 1996/7 I was used to kneeling at an altar rail, but receiving in the hand and always in 2 kinds, then as a catholic it was standing , in one form almost always and in the hand. Now due to physical infirmity I receive on the tongue after genuflecting while the person in front receives, many of the congregation also genuflect and receive on the tongue, I am (so far) the only veiled woman outside first holy communion and weddings although we have several hat wearers. I would have a lot of trouble kneeling unless everyone did it at a proper altar rail due to the above mentioned physical disability. I started receiving on the tongue so I didn't have to let go of my stick and to avoid dropping the sacrament.Been wearing my plain black chiffon veil for a month so far, had a few odd glances but no questions apart from my family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://thecatholicsciencegeek.blogspot.com/2011/03/best-thing-i-ever-did.html

    I have received Communion on my knees and on the tongue ever since a year or so ago (please see above post about how and why)...even in ordinary form of mass. I may stick out, but when I receive, I am not conscious of the rest of the church...it's just me and Jesus (and the priest). Ever since I started wearing my mantilla, I stick out like a sore thumb. I'm the only person who kneels and am the only person that wears the mantilla...but I wouldn't have it any other way. I say go for it! Who knows, it may just inspire more people to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, I have recently since Christmas mass 2012 started following my heart to kneel before Jesus when I receive him in the Eucharist. I was afraid before that because I knew people would misunderstand and think I was trying to get attention. I was confirmed in my fear when I was commenting on my conviction about kneeling and a deacon in my parish said if I were to kneel it would put the emphasis on me and not Jesus. I was very upset. I told him that if everyone were kneeling like they should that I wouldn't stick out and In frustration I said some things about the spirit of the parish towards Jesus' true presence and even said I was done going there due to lack of fellowship and just the sheer apathy that prevails. Since then I have felt remorse for my harshness and I have returned. I DO kneel before I receive the Lord's Body now and I will until I die.I am the ONLY one to do so out of 3 parishes in the area.If anyone is struggling with this please be brave for the Lord. It hasn't been easy for me but I know in my heart of hearts this is the right thing to do.

      Delete
  4. I've been receiving on the tongue for some time now. I don't kneel because I'd be too wobbly getting back up. My son, however routinely kneels to receive, the only person in our parish to do so. He is in the line ahead of me, so no danger that someone will trip over him. I'm currently one of a small handful of women in our parish who cover at all. I've only started to wear a veil (I wore a hat all winter) since the weather got warmer. I've seen only three other women veil in our parish, although I'm aware that the organist's wife does as well (she just always attends a different Mass from us). On the other hand, a goodly number of people in our parish receive on the tongue, maybe as many as a third of the congregation. It's a beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do receive on the tongue and on one knee. Kneeling all the way is much to tippy for me with out a communion rail. I wear a mantilla whenever I am in church and so do my mother and younger sister. This blog is great! Thank you for doing this!

    ReplyDelete